skip navigation

International Students

The University at Buffalo (UB) offers a welcoming environment for the international student. At UB you will find an international-focused faculty and a diverse student body that presents an excellent place for international students.

Special International Student Requirements

The EEB program welcomes applications from international students. In addition to the application steps for domestic students, international students should review the following procedures for applying to the EEB program.

Financial Form

If you are not a U.S. citizen, submit the online International Student Graduate Financial Form from the International Admissions office website, as well as certified bank statements proving the information submitted on the financial form (unless you got an RA or TA offer with your admisssion). This form must be submitted before your application can be processed for your entry visa (I-20).

Language Proficiency Tests

If English is not your native language, an official language proficiency score report must be submitted. These scores must be no more than two years old.

In line with the general UB grad school requirements, the EEB Program accepts TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, CAE, and CPE scores. In order to be considered for funding through a Teaching Assistantship (TA), international applicants should have a TOEFL iBT score of at least 100, or higher, an IELTS score of 7.5 or higher, a minimum PTE Academic score of 55 with no individual section sub-score below 50, or a score above 200 on the Cambridge English Scale (=Grade A for CAE, Grade C for CPE).

If otherwise promising applicants (see How to Apply) fall below the above specified language proficiency scores, admission may be granted contingent on successful completion of the University’s 6-week or 12-week Intensive English Program. This program is offered by the English Language Institute of the University at Buffalo during the Summer, Fall, and Spring semesters.


Support through Teaching Assistantships is generally limited to PhD students, although M.S. candidates may be considered depending on availability. International student applicants for the PhD degree are considered for the same funding as domestic students.

Proof of Degree

Students entering the Ph.D. program must have earned a degree (B.S., or M.S.) that is from an accredited university that is equivalent to the University at Buffalo and is accepted by the Director of Graduate Studies and the Graduate School. Students must provide a final transcript upon fall admission. Likewise, all students entering the Master’s program must have earned a Bachelor’s degree and must produce a final transcript upon fall admission.

International Admissions Office

International students wishing to enroll as graduate students should also consult with the Office of International Admissions, University at Buffalo, 411 Capen Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260.

Upon Admission

International students that were successfully admitted to UB will find helpful information at the UB’s International Student and Scholar Service: